Tuesday, March 13, 2012




































SANDY CONNON photographer




I first heard of Sandy Connon 8 years ago. I was pregnant with my second child and one day while eating my lunch in a cafe in Wellington i spied her works on the wall. Now I am a lover of black and white photography but more than anything I love a subtle dramatic moment or thought captured with a keen eye. Instantly i knew I wanted Sandy to photograph my girl, Gretta. Then age 3 and breathtakingly beautiful with her wild blue eyes and untamed hair. After the session with Sandy (which was so effortless and quietly active) She called me again to view the work. And i do believe i cried. When i saw the slides of little Gretta it was one of my top intimate moments as a mother. Here was this child that everyday i cared for now in film all i saw was this beautiful spiritual thing I'd brought into the world. One set of pictures were purchased for my husbands birthday, a series of her playing a game she and him played often. But, there was one shot i wanted. I couldn't get it too. We were just starting out. But yesterday, i surprised Gretta with a visit to Sandy's studio where there in her archives was that shot i so loved. Gretta was really touched and I just felt like i could reach in and touch that 3 year old. the clarity was amazing. I talked for a long time with Sandy about the importance of artistic portraiture and what it means for a family to have archival heirlooms of their family history. I tell you now, there is not a day that goes by that i don't look at those shots of Gretta and smile. Now, I can't wait to have my new Old shot of Gretta. The one i always wanted.




Thank you Sandy for your time and great care you have taken with all our Wellington children and families. You are a true Newtown gem.




Note: If you would like to contact Sandy to book a session you can contact her here.


or phone 04 389 5196 Definitely tell her Mindy sent ya ;)














No comments: